Monday, February 4, 2008

Wacky Weather!

Today, let's talk about the weather! Not because I have nothing better to tell you about. On the contrary, I could tell you more of the story of Feinding Wisdom, or I could share my thoughts about elephants, or deep thoughts brought on by current conversations, or life, or share fun memories (waterskiing anyone? ;) ). But today, let's just talk about the weather because, I'm telling ya, folks!- IT IS WACKY!!!

We've had snow and record cold in the same week as record highs in January. Tornadoes in January along with thunder snow (Now there's something I'd never experienced growing up in the northeast!) followed by subzero windchills. February is starting off in the same pattern.

Last week, I made an appointment to take my mare, Pholly, to the vet for her booster vaccinations. I called on Monday for an appointment on Friday. By Wednesday, the forecast was for a BIG snow storm (6-10+ inches of snow & blowing- it's BIG for this area). I debated it for about..... oh.... 60 seconds or less... and decided NO! I didn't want to haul my favorite horse in the whole world 30 miles on the heels of a snow storm. (We only got 4.5 inches of snow- oops! Even the weathermen are scratching their heads)

So I rescheduled the appointment for today (Monday) as the forecast was for temps near 50 degrees and rain. I can haul in that NO SWEAT!

HA!!! Did you hear the forces of nature laughing at me? HA!
HA! HA!
HA! HA! HA!

We woke up to THICK FOG!!! It was so thick this morning that it appeared we were in a world all by ourselves- granted our neighbors are spread apart by 20 acres or so, but we can usually see them!

Did I haul?

YES! I DID! Truly, I thought the fog would let up and likely burn off thru the day. (Did I consult my local weatherman?- no...) I was wrong.

Visibility was awful! There were times I couldn't see more than 50 feet in front of me. The really dangerous part involved intersections. You just couldn't see them until you were upon them. Stop lights! You didn't know whether they were green or red until you were practically under them. That's BAD!

It's particularly bad when you're hauling a horse trailer with your favorite horse inside. The solution was DRIVE SLOW and use flashers coming up to intersections- approaching them in preparation for a red light. Even more worrisome was the cross traffic. Thank the Lord! I waited to make a left turn onto a busy highway until everyone was stopped. A mini van never slowed down and came thru the intersection far after the light had turned red. I have no doubt the driver didn't see the light until the last second. They blared their horn as the horrific realization came to them. No one collided and I can only hope the impatient soul behind me (NO ONE wants to be behind a horse trailer) realized the value of a little patience! ("Patience on the road keeps Patients out of the hospital.")

Others weren't so lucky. Local news is reporting several fatal auto accidents.
Fog Causes Fatal Crashes

Do you know what the weather is supposed to be like in a few days?

That's right! Back to snow!

Wacky I say! Just plain WACKY!

No comments: