Friday, February 29, 2008

Feinding Wisdom's Story- part 3


February 28th, 2007- One year ago, our dream foal entered the world.


It's taken me a while to get back to this story. If you missed the first two parts and are scratching your head, look back in the archived posts of 2007.

When I left you last, I was standing at the vet clinic with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I remember my mind whirling. I had no way to reach "Charlie Brown" by phone and even if I did, I'd probably just start bawling. Then we'd get no where because the vet would return to perform x-rays to find me standing in the aisle blubbering. All the while, Charlie Brown would be on the phone trying to decide how best to deal with his distraught wife.

I thought about calling our trainer but again, I knew I was close to breaking down into a heap of tears. They've already seen that ugly mess before (oh gee! That's another story). I'm sure they'd all be rolling their eyes while they also tried to decipher what to do with this hiccuping, sobbing mess on the other end of the phone.

I didn't call anyone. I maintained my composure, kept breathing and kept rational thought in charge so important information- information necessary for decision making- wouldn't be drowned in emotion.





I could really stretch this out with all kinds of details that some would find absolutely fascinating and others would hear, "waa, waa, wha, wha" (like Charlie Brown's teacher). Initially things did not appear too bad.

Things went from bad to worse in a short period of time. Solomon's hind stifle joint(the equivalent of our knee) progressed from very swollen to swollen and floating out of place. If you think that sounds bad, you are right.



There are moments that will forever be etched in my memory. I will always remember the feeling, my surroundings, the details, etc. of those moments. That day the stitches were removed and the first set of x-rays were taken will be one.

The day the second set of x-rays were taken is the second. I knew the moment our vet felt that "knee cap" float out of place that it was worse than BAD just by the look on his face. If this story were a true piece of literature, that look would be perfect foreshadowing. It wasn't even a look that he necessarily intended to share with us, but it was there. He couldn't hide what was an obvious response to what is not supposed to be.

If you know me in real life, you know I don't hide my faith. The Lord cares about the very fine details of our lives and He proved Himself in our situation with Solomon.

We made no rash decisions. Everything was well thought out and researched as far as our resources allowed. Our team of vets (yes... now we had a team of vets rather than just one) very patiently fielded my phone calls and unending questions. When they didn't have answers they used their resources to hunt down answers. I no longer had to include my last name when calling the office. We talked so often, everyone seemed familiar with Solomon's case.

"Lord, please let us have the opportunity to ultrasound the joint." Less than 24 hours from that prayer, we were given that opportunity without our vet being aware of our desire. "Lord, please let those three main ligaments be intact" The ultrasound showed those three ligaments intact and mostly good. These were just the beginnings of the many ways the Lord was Faithful and provided answers (in every minute detail) along the way.



After MUCH deliberation & praying and following the LORD's most obvious answers to our prayers we opted for surgery. From everyone's best knowledge, it was deduced that the one remaining ligament behind the "knee cap" had to be the culprit. That ligament was not visible via ultrasound since the location is behind the bone. Surgery would attempt to clean up the joint, debride the damaged bone and would sew tissue together in an attempt to stabilize the joint. (There is not a knee replacement surgery for equines YET)



Solomon was a perfect patient at the animal hospital and the vet students all fell in love with him. Who wouldn't? This young colt was so curious and social yet completely correctable & trainable. He had a great head about him- smart like his mom! You couldn't help but to like him because he had a way of saying, "Hey! Want to be my friend?" After a week at the hospital, and successful surgery Solomon was released to come home.





We nursed him around the clock at home. The camera was on him at all hours. He was great to vet and had no problem with all of our poking and prodding. That included monitoring his rectal temperature several times daily for several weeks. Even our 12yo daughter could take his vitals. We helped him thru GI upset due to medications, learned how to manage his pain and were well on the way to helping him to a full recovery. When his stitches were removed, everyone was amazed at the improvement to the joint. There was far less swelling in the joint and it was remarkably stable.

The very things that were believed to be in Solomon's favor for a successful recovery were also the very things that were going to be to his detriment. He was young and growing! As he began to feel good, he had a natural desire to be a normal horse.

One step. I believe that is all it was. One wrong step. Solomon went from walking on 4 hooves- albeit lamely,but walking- to walking on 3. That is another moment I won't forget. It was a "moment" that lingered and wouldn't go away.




PS. If you stumble upon here in search for stifle injury information or if you are fascinated by details and want to learn more, feel free to contact me privately. ;)

No comments: