Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A moment in the spotlight!


Feeling like a star!
The picture of her reading to Milton was
included in the Sonlight catalog.
It's a big deal folks! :)


Our catalog arrived yesterday. The anticipation of the Sonlight catalog arriving in your mailbox is a BIG deal in "Sonlight land". Truly! It's a bit like tracking Santa Claus across the globe on Christmas Eve. I knew it was getting close as several others in my state of residence had received theirs, but mine hadn't arrived. I actually thought maybe the lady in the post office was enjoying my copy. My copy was finally released to my box yesterday.

With all of that anticipation, you would think it would have been the first thing on my to-do list. Sadly, it fell by the wayside (GASP!) until this evening.

I had entered a picture of our youngest reading her reader to Milton for the cover photo contest. It wasn't chosen but I was excited to see that it made the inside of the catalog. And now my baby gets a moment in the spotlight.

It's not always easy living in the shadow of older siblings - I wouldn't know! I AM the older sibling. You'd have to ask my brother his opinion. He'll tell you I'm NOT the boss of him. I have finally accepted that. LOL It took a lot of reminding on his part... years! Many years!!!

I am not sure how you temper the oldest child- first born- syndrome. I am constantly in conversation about being bossy with our oldest child. I feel her pain. The simple fact is that she has been given great leadership qualities. She takes responsibility very seriously and is a hard worker. I often remind her (but haven't in a while... maybe I need to reiterate this again) that our strongest characteristics can also be our biggest downfall.

I feel unequipped to guide my oldest child into the best part of who she is. I can only pray that the Lord fills the gap between my shortcomings and her best. It's that way for all of my children. The responsibility of being a parent is weighty and not for the faint hearted, that's for sure!

However, today was easy! The spotlight was for our girl who was feeling overshadowed. The timing couldn't have been more perfect-- that's God! Just in time!