Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Bugs!



Bugs! Aren't they interesting? Even more interesting is our response to them.

Yesterday we were driving into town when She-With-Once-Skinned-Knee and Hair-Tied-In-Knots discovered a bug present in the back seat with them.

Now I need to stray for a moment to tell you that our girls are not typical girls... at least, not always. Yes, they play dolls & dress-up, love clothes and girl things and are EMOTIONAL... but our girls also chase frogs in the mud, muck horse stalls, help load & unload hay, want to learn basic plumbing, help My-Good-Man-Charlie-Brown with mechanical repairs... etc. You're getting the idea...

So there's two of my girls in the backseat... who not more than 24 hours prior to this point had been wading thru slimy, swampy waters catching frogs... and there's this bug!

Being the devoted mother, I peeked in the rear view mirror to assess the danger said bug might present to my two precious girls. It was a little bigger than a firefly but with the same basic shape & style. It's legs were a bit spidery but not excessively so. It appeared harmless 'tho admittedly, I wouldn't want him ON me.

Since it's finally warm in this region of the world, we opened the windows. Maybe friend, Bug, would decide to depart using the nearest exit. She-With-Once-Skinned-Knee and Hair-Tied-In-Knots took up watch duty over the location and activities of Bug.

Suddenly... and I MEAN SUDDENLY... I hear a gasp- not a scream- and Hair-Tied-In-Knots appears to be in great distress. I mean... she looks like she's coming out of her booster seat and seat-belt. I also can't tell whether she's trying to scream, laugh or cry. That is followed by a shuddering plea for help... "THE.... BUG.....is... OOOOON MEEEEEEEE!!!"

Apparently I'm NOT the devoted mother I thought I was just moments prior because the inexplicable urge to laugh was overwhelming. And now Industrious-One and She-With-Once-Skinned-Knee are laughing. Meanwhile Hair-Tied-In-Knots is frozen in a frightened state and seems to be laughing and crying at the same time.

I know! I shouldn't have laughed. And maybe I should have pulled over. Now no one knows where Bug is. Hair-Tied-In-Knots is convinced that it's now under her. She-With-Once-Skinned-Knee is now cracking jokes about butts and bugs (I told you...not typical girls). Of course, the jokes now send Hair-Tied-In-Knots into fits of belly laughing.

We arrived at our destination intact. I apologized to my wee daughter for laughing at her predicament and gave her some extra hugs & kisses. She had recovered and was back to her usual jovial self.

Bug remained in the vehicle for several more hours. Presumably, he'd found a suitable hiding place. Hours later, while returning our video rentals, Bug flew out the window. Hair-Tied-In-Knots exclaimed, "Farewell Tom!" We didn't know his name was Tom. I guess we missed that moment of communication in our moment of laughter.

Bugs!

No comments: