Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Snow day!

A common question our homeschooling family is asked is whether or not the kids get snow days. My answer has always been, "No. But they do get sunny days."

It has always seemed better to go ahead and do school on bad weather days. After all, we have no where else to go since the weather keeps us home. And more often, it keeps us inside too. So why not save those "snow days" for times when the weather is great and we want to be out?

Today is different. I looked out at all of that snow last night... UGH!... Double UGH?... I feel whiny again! I woke up knowing that my-good-man-Charlie-Brown had taken the truck to work. Early this morning, I heard our incredibly thoughtful and generous neighbor plowing a path up our driveway with his small tractor. My bed was cozy and warm and I made a quick decision- the girls get a snow day today!

This was a first for them. I waited for just the right moment to spring the news on them. I decided to spring it on our youngest first. She was getting ready to begin the getting-ready-for-school routine.

"You know," I said, "I have decided that you guys get a snow day today."

There was a momentary pause while I think she was absorbing what I'd just said. Once the initial shock was over, there was a little gasp followed by a huge leap off my bed.

"I have to go tell the girls!" she yelled.

I heard her run down the basement stairs. "GIRLS! Guess what! Mommy says we get a snow day today!"

This was followed by much whooping and hollering. It reminded me of my and my brother's celebrations when we'd hear our school included in the school closings over the radio.

I'm glad I could give them the experience today. Heck! I needed a snow day too!
The sun is shining! :)

No comments: