Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Ike

There is a man who graces the local Steak 'n Shake with his presence on a regular basis. He is a dapper gentleman who walks with a cane and has celebrated his 90th birthday. He still lives in his own home in town. With the assistance of a cane, he is quite capable of getting himself from place to place and is still capable of driving a vehicle. He dresses cleanly, wearing black slacks a button-up, collared shirt all under a clean, black overcoat. The hair on his head is absent. Quite possibly, that is the only thing absent with this man named, Ike.

We met Ike Sunday evening when we filled one side of the local Steak 'n Shake for dinner. After working hard together all afternoon, Mom, Dad, my brother, sister-in-law, two nephews and our household of five decided to grab a bite together. If you've read my aunt's blog, you already know that my father knows no stranger. He loves people and everywhere we go, he seems to know someone. Dad had already met Ike at sometime in the past and after visiting with him for a few minutes, he invited Ike to meet the family.

You see, Ike carries in his coat pocket two very special tools- his harmonicas. He loves to play them for anyone who will listen. This thrilled "Charlie Brown" and I, as Charlie Brown's grandpa used to play the harmonica ("Sally Got a Wooden Leg" -Grandpa's fun song).

Ike played beautiful hymns for us. He played them just as if the harmonica was his own voice. Not as if just singing the words, but as if those words were the expressions of his heart... passionate and full of emotion. It was beautiful and for me, quite mesmerizing. I hardly remember eating my food.

Between the songs, Ike shared bits of his life with us- of his brother who died when he was 18 (but Ike can still hear his brother's tenor voice singing a favorite hymn), of his service in WWII, of his wife who went to be with the Lord just a few years ago- but mainly, he shared Jesus with us.

You see, Ike is much like my father. He loves people. He cares enough about people that he is not afraid to be "Jesus with skin on". He shared the verse that he has chosen to write on his heart this year. It is Romans 1:16 & 17 which he quoted from memory without any hesitation. "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "But the righteous man shall live by faith."

This beautiful flow of Living Water, straight out of the heart of a 90 year old man caused my eyes to squirt! (And I wasn't the only one whose eyes were squirting!) It wasn't just the man that moved my emotions. It was the application of living scripture so real and tangible in this man. I had asked him to share a favorite scripture verse. That was the verse that he has not only memorized, but has put to work in his daily living. There is nothing quite so beautiful I think.

Ike played many, many songs for us while we ate. One of the last songs I remember him playing was "Jesus Loves Me". We sang along as he played.

Yes, Ike is a great example of being "Jesus with skin on". I should live with as much concern, compassion and caring for people.

If I am not fortunate enough to visit with Ike again on this earth, I hope I get to worship the Lord with Ike & his harmonica in heaven.


No comments: