Saturday, May 31, 2008

Stormy Weather




I was born and raised in the northeastern part of our country. It wasn't until I married my Good-Man-Charlie-Brown (we'll be married 14 years on June 4th!!!!) that I became a mid-western transplant.

For the most part, I have adjusted to this area. I have gotten used to people actually being friendly to one another. I've gotten used to having doors held open for me and having people thank me for holding the door for them. I know what "the smell of corn" smells like. I've adjusted to the lack of "real" hills in our area.

I've adjusted in so many ways ...but I don't think I'll ever adjust to the storms that so commonly come with Tornado watches and warnings. I rather miss the t-storms of the northeast. Those I could sit and watch roll in on us and marvel at the clouds... sit in awe of the awesome power of the storm.

I vividly remember sitting in the dark in front of a huge picture window with my cousins and friends watching a storm move across the Adirondack mountains. It was awesome. And while the thunder was loud, it was oddly relaxing. It was like watching a fireworks show put on by nature. I miss that kind of storm watching.

Here it is different. It's hard to marvel and sit in awe. Here, we are glued to the local t.v. station and to what our local weatherman has to say about the weather headed in our direction. Our weather radio alarm begins its cacophony that keeps us on our toes. And on evenings like tonight, rather than sitting on the front porch watching the storm move in all its awesome wonder, we cower in the basement, watching and waiting for the storm to pass over... praying we escape the tendrils of violence otherwise known as tornadoes.

We're out of the basement now but my children are "camped out" in the living room because being upstairs... at the top of the house... is just too stinkin' scary. And I DON'T BLAME THEM!

Nope. I don't think I'll ever adjust to that... that and missing conjunctions! LOL



PS... I'm working on something new that I hope to share with you next week! I'd hoped for this week but... well ...life got in the way again. Here's a small peek... hehehe

No comments: