Saturday, May 3, 2008

Oh Sadness!



Did anyone else watch the Kentucky Derby?

Oh my goodness! What a thrilling event! Every year we watch the hour long pre-race coverage. It's amazing... all of the hoopla... for a race that lasts a mere fraction of that time. But we're fascinated by the horses. Oh! How we admire such magnificent equine athletes!!

We also enjoy the stories behind the horses. It would have been neat for the horse that was purchased for $4500 to win. It would just go to show that a good horse, is a good horse... no matter what price you pay!

We all sat with suspense watching Big Brown come from behind. For a moment it appeared that Eight Belles was going to give him a run for his money. She hung in there for a bit and then Big Brown seemed to shift into a whole 'nother gear and took off. Both he and Eight Belles pulled away from the rest but Big Brown really left them all in the dust.

I was cheering on that beautiful filly! Don't get me wrong, I was equally happy to see Big Brown win... clearly that horse is an amazing horse. But I wanted to see that filly do well. Second place wasn't so bad either!

The victory... Big Brown seemed to know that "he was the man"! He appeared to be very full of himself. I saw his rider come off and then UGH!!!!... my heart stopped. A horse laying on the track! Our living room became very silent and filled with concern.

Then the sad news... the horse--- Eight Belles! Oh no! After running such a great race. And then worse news... she broke both front legs & was humanely euthanized. Call me a sap but I immediately began crying. That is so heart breaking.. so heart wrenching... so utterly devastating. I know it was "just an animal" and I'm so glad the jockey was ok... but still... I cried and cried (and I might add...I wasn't the only one in the room crying).

There was no other choice. A horse can get around on 3 legs if it must but not 2. I'm sure she was suffering... and watching a horse suffer is gut wrenching... awful!

Oh my heart! It brings your own grief right back to the surface.


1 comment:

Lisa Johnson said...

I found your post from Andrea's blog. I just have to say that I cried too. I didn't even get to watch the race, but when I heard about it...I cried. So sad.