Wednesday, January 9, 2008

My heart SINGS!

The art, joy and freedom of homeschooling gives us opportunity to let our young fillies run with the wind, stretch their legs and see if they can fly.

This week, with the dreary dark days of January setting in, is a great time to go dig my sewing supplies out of the boxes in the basement. Now that those long awaited bedrooms are finished, we have an extra room serving primarily as the classroom but also useful and available for projects. JJJJOOOOOOOOOYYYY! (sing that for the right effect!)

I am not sure I can describe the way my heart sang when our three young fillies lit up over the unveiling. And then the fabric bin came up! Oh my!!! It's IN THEIR BLOOD! Just watching them oooooooo and aaahhhhhhhh over all of the prints, textures and colors was entertainment enough for me. These young charges come from a long line of completely capable women who were and are equipped with many wonderful talents. One talent among them all -- Sewing! Walk the females from this side of the pedigree into a fabric store and it's like letting pregnant mares loose in an alfalfa field!

And so begins another generation! The first lesson was simple and very basic. I let them pick a fabric and showed them how to make a quick, simple pillow. They learned the basics of fabric, how to pin it, cut it, iron it, put the parts right sides together, the parts of the sewing machine, where & how the thread works, how to sew a straight stitch and turn corners. They finished their quick project by hand sewing the opening closed.


They were so excited over their success that I allowed them to make another today to reinforce their first lessons. Ahhhhhhh..... they make my heart sing!


Do you see the tongue at work?

I think that's like "licking the brain". LOL
And getting to use fun things like Mom's wrist-band pin cushion is a BIG deal! Everyone must get a turn!


See the tongue?

It's still at work! ;)

Concentration.

Precision.

This filly- she's got it!
Wanting to race ahead!

She's looking forward - ahead - and on to the next project!

Vision!

Industrious!


Not to be put off... she'll stretch a little farther if that's what it takes to run with the older fillies.

Determination!

"Stay with me Mom, ok?"





My heart SINGS!!!

2 comments:

Kim & Dave said...

Those are some GREAT pics!

I DO love the tounge action!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes......now there is some fun!! My heart is singing along with yours!

Love,
Gram